GOING BANANAS IN B SCHOOL


Tuesday, July 17, 2007

For best results, use the right fingers

I've never taken a bowling before. How hard can it be? Swing your arm back, then swing it forward and let go of the ball. That was my strategy. These were the results. ('L' is Leese-one of my coworkers)


A whopping 54!!! One of my coworkers so eloquently put it, "Wow. Its actually kind of hard to score that low..." It IS hard to gutter 4 consecutive times!!
I'm going to chalk up game 1 to me not bowling for roughly 3 years. This was the Game 2 score. Much better!

81!! And I started off with a spare! Wheee! Here's the thing about the way I bowl-its slow. I'm talking molasses slow. Paint drying slow. So slow that you can put a load of laundry in the washing machine, and then hang dry it slow. The lane to my right was occupied by two kids, I'm talking middle school-high school age. Bowling etiquette dictates that one person bowls at a time. So I'm up at the same time one of the guys is up, and he nods in my direction to let me go first. I bowl. Then he bowls. His pins realign and he's about to finish out the frame. MY BALL IS STILL ROLLING. WTF. This is why I suck at bowling. The ball all but stops right in front of the pins.

Speed wasn't my only problem.

Nor was it my biggest.

My other coworker joins us. He is Mr. I-Used-To-Bowl-In-A-League. Oh it shows in the score. But...after watching him bowl his first frame, a lightbulb turns on. I've been bowling using my index and middle finger! This is probably why every time I bowl I've broken those fingernails. And subsequently, why I think the 10 lb ball is way too heavy. So once I started bowling with the correct fingers (my form was all fucked up and will continue to stay that way), my score improved yet again!!

So close yet so far away from a 100.

No comments: