GOING BANANAS IN B SCHOOL


Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Maytag Man

This is the first time in years that I've lived by myself. I would rather suffer through 3 root canals and a 10 ingrown toenails than live by myself. Needless to say, I don't do it when I don't have to. But...I am living by myself now. Which means I have to buy everything myself from scratch. I just bought a sofa last weekend, and will be getting a dinette set this weekend.

My fridge should be stocked, since no one will stock it if I don't. However, currently an old bag of grapes and a Brita filter reside there. Nothing else. I would grocery shop, but I am lucky enough to find a guy who is willing to house me, feed me, and let me play with his dog. I really am never home.

However, before all this, I had the lofty goals of cooking myself. I bought a brand new set of pots and pans, and went to Costco and bought enough Cascade to clean a few rounds of cruise ship dishes. After the dishwasher was loaded, I turned it on, and nothing happened. Now since there's only a dial on the dishwasher, its not like I had much to fiddle around with. So I popped the door open, and all the dishwashing liquid had already fallen out. Fantastic. So I unload everything, head out to the leasing center, and fill out a maintenance form. Simply put: dishwasher does not turn on.

Went and ran errands.

Came back, and the maintenance form left on my kitchen read: need to flip dishwasher switch.

Huh?

Since when did dishwashers have a switch that needed flipping? See? This is what happens when I live with someone else. All this stuff is already done and spoken for. No worries. Re-load dishwasher, made sure switch is flipped, put in more dishwashing liquid, and off it goes!

Three days later I find myself in my apartment for more than half an hour, and decide to unload the dishwasher, as well as do a load of laundry and break down boxes (this is about as domestic as I am going to get). Opened the door, and shit-the bottom of the dishwasher is filled to the brim with water. WTF. Half an inch more, and it would have spilled out onto the kitchen floor.
After I unload the goodies, I head out to the leasing center, and fill out another maintenance form. Simply put: dishwasher flooded.

So now the problem is that I have to run the sink disposal at some point to make sure there's no excess water in the washer. Huh? I am baffled. Do I run it before I run the dishwasher? While the dishes are being washed? Afterwards? I have no clue. Maintenance claimed it had to do with the sink being backed up, which will backup the dishwasher. Which I find scary because hello, I havne't done anything to back up the sink. I haven't cooked or eaten anything because I don't have clean pots or pans (duh), or clean silverware, and don't even own a set of plates yet. Maybe the person before me was grinding body parts in the sink...

1 comment:

Becs said...

Just turn on your disposal right before you start the dishwasher. In one of my apartment, when we ran the diswasher, our sink would fill with gross, brown water. I don't understand why that is all connected but whatever.

Good luck living by yourself. I actually envy you a little. I live with my boyfriend and it is not always that fun. I found some of his toenails on the table the other day....